Sunday, December 19, 2010

How I Spent My Sunday...

Yes, I know that we're less than a week away from Christmas. And no, I haven't finished all my holiday shopping, but I've been staring at this fan in my living room for the last three years and realized today was the day.

JP and I have been meaning to do something about it since the day we moved in, as we're pretty sure this fan is original to the house.

This second photo is when I had second thoughts about just calling a handyman just after I emptied the box and spread everything out. [Gulp.]

Things moved at a snail's pace for most of the day, because I am a fastidious double-checker (and maybe also because I made a few time-consuming mistakes, like screwing in all the fan blades before realizing that all the screws needed washers).

But in the end, I have to admit that it was really rewarding to have done it on my own (with some advice from my dad and the Lowe's fan expert). My last two pictures are of the defeated 1970s fan and my new (and may I add, working) fan.

How long did it take me? Embarrassed to admit it, but from start to finish, it was six hours of my time. But I'll definitely be a pro for whenever the next fan installation happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment